Know Your Resting Metabolic Rate
Metabolism is the process by which your body converts what you eat and drink into energy. Most people struggle with a slow metabolism. Only a small percentage of individuals are genetically “blessed” for having a normal to fast metabolism. The Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) is the number of calories that your body needs to maintain basic bodily functions, such as breathing, blood circulation, digestion and other processes.
Now at The Aesthetic and Wellness Center we can measure your metabolism using a simple test known as Indirect Calorimetry Testing!
Indirect Calorimetry Testing measures the amount of oxygen your body uses and the amount of expired carbon dioxide your body produces to calculate the RMR.
Most equipment uses a face mask or a mouthpiece to breathe through, which analyzes the exhaled gas. Meta-check is a simple and comfortable 10 minute breathing test. During the test, the exhaled breath is analyzed to determine exactly how much oxygen the body has consumed and indirectly measures how many calories the body needs to keep RMR. The results determine the individual’s RMR which is then used to calculate a target caloric zone for the individual.
The results of this test can help us pinpoint possible causes of slow metabolism and determine the precise caloric intake required to promote weight loss or maintenance.
Resting Metabolic Testing is a great tool for:
- Determination of patient Resting Metabolic Rate
- Helping identify causes of slow metabolism
- Determination of the precise caloric intake required for weight loss or maintenance
- Helping patient break weight plateaus
If you are preparing for this test and to obtain accurate results, you should follow the following recommendations:
Before the Test
- Avoid eating a meal 4 hours before the test;
- Do not engage in any strenuous exercise the day before the test and avoid physical activity as much as possible on the morning of the test;
- Dress comfortably in loose fitting clothing;
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine or cold medications. Prescription medications should be taken according to schedule;
- Abstain from all tobacco products for 1 hour prior to your appointment.
During and after the Test
- Stay relaxed and comfortable;
- A nose clip will be placed on your nose;
- You will be given a mouthpiece to breathe into. Make a good seal with your lips around the mouthpiece to ensure that all the air you exhale will be analyzed;
- The gas that you exhale will be analyzed to determine your metabolic rate;
- Do not talk unless you are experiencing problems;
- The test only takes 10 minutes.