8 Ways to Boost and Repair your MetabolismAugust 3, 2016
Micronutrient Testing: Is your body receiving the right amount of nutrients?March 1, 2017
Discover Your Metabolic Rate
In my last two blog articles, I presented causes of a slow metabolism and how to boost it up. However, even after correcting and implementing new strategies to increase your metabolism, you may find that your weight is not coming off or you are stuck in the dreaded plateau stage.
I recommend that you review our Metabolism Series articles: 10 Causes of Slow Metabolism and 8 Ways to Boost and Repair your Metabolism.
Why is it beneficial to have your Resting Metabolic Rate tested?
Resting Metabolic Testing is a great tool for:
• Determination of patient baseline metabolic state at rest
• Helping identify causes of slow metabolism
• Determination of precise caloric intake required for weight loss or maintenance
• Helping patients break weight plateaus
How is RMR calculated?
Resting Metabolic Rate Predictive Equations: They require a complex calculation and tend to be very unreliable. The formula will change if a man or woman is being tested. There are four known equations: Harris-Benedict, Mifflin-St Jeor, Owen, and World Health Organization/Food and Agriculture Organization/United Nations University.
V02 Testing: It measures the amount of oxygen the body utilizes at different exertion levels while exercising on a treadmill or elliptical. A mask is worn during a short aerobic workout (15-25 minutes) in order to measure the oxygen intake. The recorded information is then used to calculate the individual target intensity zones. These intensity zones will provide the specific heart rate range to maintain during different levels of exercise intensity.
Indirect Calorimetry Testing: This test analyzes the amount of oxygen your body uses and the amount of expired carbon dioxide your body produces to calculate the RMR. Most equipment uses a face mask or a mouthpiece to breathe through, analyzing the exhaled gas.
There are two types:
Metabolic cart: This is large cart equipment mainly used in research centers, universities and athletic performance centers. Metabolic cart is indicated for determination of the energy requirements in intensive care unit patients. A precise calculation of energy expenditure may prevent overfeeding or underfeeding. A metabolic cart can also be used to assess the energy requirements during exercise and to determine work capacity. This type of system is large and expensive, making it only practical for clinical and academic centers.
Hand held devices: Patients breathe through a simple mouthpiece as all the exhaled air is collected and analyzed. During the test, the air breathed out is analyzed to determine exactly how much oxygen the body has consumed. The results determine the Resting Metabolic Rate which is calculated to establish indirectly how many calories your body requires for weight loss or maintenance and the degree of your metabolism.
If you are preparing for this test and to obtain accurate results, you should follow the following recommendations:
Before the test
It is desirable to measure a person’s metabolic rate at a true resting level. To ensure one is at rest, we recommend the following preparation:
1. Avoid eating a meal 4 hours before the test.
2. Do not engage in any strenuous exercise the day before the test and avoid physical activity as much as possible on the morning of the test.
3. Dress comfortably in loose fitting clothing.
3. Avoid stimulants such as caffeine or cold medications. Prescription medications should be taken according to schedule.
During and after the test
1. During the test, it will be important to get into a comfortable position and relax as much as possible.
2. A nose clip will be placed on your nose.
3. You will be given a mouthpiece to breathe into. You will be breathing in fresh air from the room, but the gas that you breathe out will go through a tube and into the metabolic analyzer to measure your metabolic rate.
4. Make a nice seal with your lips around the mouthpiece to ensure that all the air you exhale will be analyzed.
5. Do not talk unless you are experiencing problems.
6. Relax. After about 10 minutes the device will beep, indicating it is finished.
7. Eat a snack after the test.
Are you convinced you have a slow metabolism? Do you wish to know your Resting Metabolic Rate? At The Aesthetic & Wellness Center, we can determine if your metabolism is normal, fast or slow. A simple ten-minute breathing test can give us information on your metabolic test and tips to boost it.
Call us at 941-749-0741 to schedule your appointment.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The Aesthetic & Wellness Center is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site. After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider or skin care specialist.